Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Momentary Lapse, Perhaps?

For those who don't know, I work with a group of 6th grade girls at church most Wednesday nights. They're good girls, but honestly sometimes those children scare me! Anyway, a couple weeks ago they were asking about my apartment - how big it is, where it is, etc. When they found out it is 3 bedrooms, they wanted to know what I was using all the space for (nosy little things, huh?). So I told them 1 room is my bedroom, one is an office, and one will be used as a baby's room - hoping they wouldn't catch that last part (I mumbled it quickly). Well, of course they did. Like I said, 6th grade girls. They started asking if I'm pregnant, do I have a boyfriend, am I getting married, you know the drill (like I said - sometimes they scare me!). Once I told them that no, I'm not pregnant & I am very much single they calmed down. So I told them that I'm adopting a baby from Ethiopia - you wouldn't believe how excited they got! They all asked if they can babysit (even after I told them that it may be quite a while before I actually have the LB home). Of course my little cousin announced very firmly that if anyone will be babysitting for me it will be her! These girls are crazy - they all started in arguing about it. I finally had to remind them again that I don't know exactly when I will be getting the baby, but that I'm sure I will need more that one person to call for babysitting Lil' Bit. So I think that is ok now, but we'll see what happens next time I meet with them (no meeting tonight). Not sure what exactly I was thinking, telling them so early - maybe I just wasn't thinking at all!

3 comments:

HollyMarie said...

LOL! That definitley sounds like 6th grade girls! Fun! :)

Carissa said...

It really is - and I think it helps that I'm not THAT much older than the girls (they don't think I'm too old to relate to them) plus I have tattoos & many many earrings - so they think I'm cool or something.

Kelli TenHaken said...

I had some of the same reactions from my students too :) It was fun to see them be excited.